HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to The United Empires Alliance Forum.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» Ghosts of Our Fathers.
Tue 11 Oct 2011, 07:23 by Terranian

» Remember to Forget
Wed 05 Oct 2011, 22:45 by Arexel

» Day of the Watchers- Book 3
Tue 28 Jun 2011, 14:24 by Mourwen

» Arexel
Sat 25 Jun 2011, 14:36 by Chimaera

» War To End All Wars
Sat 21 May 2011, 16:12 by Guest

» Cry of the Stars- Book 1
Fri 06 May 2011, 20:43 by Arexel

» Mankind Rising- Book 2
Mon 25 Apr 2011, 15:47 by Mourwen

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 20 on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 22:17

Share | 

Day of the Watchers- Book 3

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Arexel

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 12:03

Really getting to the juicy stuff now

______________________________________________________________________________________
CHANCELLOR OF THE UNITED EMPIRES ALLIANCE
Points in the metal mines : 21.561.787
Points in the crystal mines : 22.119.541
Points in the deuterium mines : 26.428.390
Points in the mines : 70.109.718
Plasma Technology : 17

Per hour : 4.132.310 Metal / 1.424.700 Crystal / 1.128.828 Deuterium
Per day : 99.175.440 Metal / 34.192.800 Crystal / 27.091.872 Deuterium
Per week : 694.228.080 Metal / 239.349.600 Crystal / 189.643.104 Deuterium
Back to top Go down
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 15:34

chapter 8 is served. Smile

Chapter 8
A Trap.
Large Magellanic Cloud
The Watchers had existed for almost a million years. In that time, they had pushed the boundaries of technology further than most other species in the universe. Their ships were massive, as large as planet, but their home, the ship regarded as their nerve centre and power base, was so very, very much larger. Hovering in space, the StellarShip stood at 2.4 million kilometres, larger than most stars. Its armament was such that it was effectively invincible; whole planet-sized sections of the ship could be vaporised, and nothing would happen to the overall performance of it.

Not that any ship could ever hope to penetrate its achingly gigantic defence network, that is. It had almost 2 trillion dark matter cannons, each capable of making a large starship disappear in one shot. It had no need of shields, for its hull was an astounding 50,000 km thick, and it could withstand anything. Literally, any force in the universe was not enough to destroy the StellarShip, and it was from this unbelievably enormous craft where the Highest himself made his residence.

Wired directly into the ship, he controlled its movements, actions, weapons, and even its crew to a certain extent. The StellarShip acted as a gigantic telekinetic amplifier, meaning he could reach into The Void and touch Lowers from millions of light years away. The centuries of being part of the ship had made him weak and feeble of body, but his mind had become incredibly powerful. When he was angry, he flooded The Void, and broke the bodies of any Lowers he pleased. Now he had reached into the deepest part of The Void, when his instincts had aroused suspicion within him. He was right to do so, for he saw the Cattle fleet hyperjump out of Haven. He chuckled slightly as he realised the timing of their jump was calculated to evade the tachyon emitter network. Unfortunately for the Cattle, they had not calculated the skill and power of The Watchers.

The Highest smiled. With terrible plans of destruction for the Cattle, he reached into the Void…

Orbit of Earth.

The 20,000 strong UEA fleet was resting in orbit of the ancient cradle of civilisation, Earth. After taking a shuttle down to the surface, Pendragon, Chimera and Retrieved Dawn stood on its surface, surveying the bleak landscape around them. 1200 years ago, a computer error had meant the country Russia thought it was under nuclear attack from the United Kingdom. They had retaliated with 100 nuclear weapons, fired at major cities and population areas in the country.

Stunned at the sudden attack, the British government panicked, and launched almost its entire nuclear arsenal on Russia, who responded with a similar action. The United States joined the strike against Russia, who retaliated harshly. France, North Korea, China and Australia became involved, and before long, almost the entire surface of the planet had been obliterated by the massive nuclear exchange.

The United Kingdom and Russia, what was left of them, continued fighting in a small-scale war during the fallout, even though 90% of the human race had been wiped from the face of the Earth. The two sides’ scientists began conducting all of their research efforts into space-faring technology, and eventually, around the same time, they developed the Colony Ship, a massive form of spacecraft that took the remains of humanity to the stars. Thousands of ships like it were built, and soon, Planet Earth was deserted, irradiated, and retained damage that would take centuries to heal.

The war between the UK and Russia did not stop there, however. The flagship Russian colony ship found its way to an ice planet, and crash landed on its surface. The British colony ship also landed on an ice planet, similar to Russia’s newly established capital planet. The planet’s names were, respectively, Arc and Haven.
Eventually, the nation of Russia transformed in name and culture to become…the Chimerean Empire, whilst the United Kingdom slowly became the Archangel Alliance. The rest, as they say, is history.

Pendragon whistled slowly as he scanned the place. It was the ruins of a city, that was for sure, but he had no idea which one. The plantlife had long since reclaimed the city, weeds and trees as common as burnt-out buildings. Pendragon turned to Retrieved Dawn.
‘What is this place?’ he asked quietly. The android’s eyes glowed blue as he scanned the horizon.
‘We are in the country formerly known as England, in the city that was once known as London. It was one of the first cities to be destroyed in the nuclear exchange.’
Pendragon felt a welling of sadness in his heart. The buildings stretched for as far as the eye could see. So many people must have died here. Innocent civilians, families, children… Blinking back the emotion, he looked at Chimera, who was too busy checking his maser pistol was working to see. He had the air of a man trying to keep himself busy. Pendragon was shocked to see a tear splash onto the pistol, that came from Chimera’s eye.

‘Selucius?’ said Pendragon, using Chimera’s first name for once. Chimera looked up, his eyes red and moist.
‘It just…reminds me of Arc. Destroyed, dead.’
Pendragon put a hand on his shoulder, and looked him in the eyes.
‘Arc is gone, but I swear we will avenge it. What we’re about to do today will make them pay. I promise, old friend.’ Chimera nodded, and the two men and one android carried on with their odyssey, unaware of the terrifying force coming to destroy them, once and for all.

______________________________________________________________________________________
LORD PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED EMPIRES ALLIANCE

Last edited by Chimera on Tue 10 May 2011, 15:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed a goof and some spelling)
Back to top Go down
Terranian

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 15:47

*sniffle* earth gone

GRAND ADMIRAL OF THE UNITED EMPIRES ALLIANCE

We are the Terranus Empire, once a great force in this universe now laid low by a gruelling war with the Watchers, and now we have returned

Thats a very nice everything you have there be a shame if anything where to *HISSSSSSSS* happen to it
Back to top Go down
Arexel

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 15:59

Pendragon falls to sleep out of shock

Back to top Go down
Mourwen

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 16:28

Argh, I've run out of epic words to describe it! It's so beautiful! -tears up-

Back to top Go down
Arexel

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 17:40

What will we do when it's all over - shivers with fear all over (ps why are the cars in stevenage so slow they held me up cycling home earlier damn them all.)

Back to top Go down
Skyfire

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 19:12

just caught up on the last 3 chapters Smile , 1st of darn you chim my planet was happily nestled away unknown to the watchers and i swear this story is to blame for my recent removal of fleet along with my 20M res :'(

very epic though , ever played the game mass effect Razz ?

buy sc2 so i can kick your ass Smile
Back to top Go down
http://tuea.forumotion.co.uk
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 19:54

Skyfire wrote:
just caught up on the last 3 chapters Smile , 1st of darn you chim my planet was happily nestled away unknown to the watchers and i swear this story is to blame for my recent removal of fleet along with my 20M res :'(

very epic though , ever played the game mass effect Razz ?

err, no, is it similiar to what ive written? Razz

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 10 May 2011, 19:56

Na!
but good as this,and that game is one of the best!
i completed mass effect 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Wed 11 May 2011, 16:28

ok I just caught up, and I think im gonna need some aspirin Razz This is bloody amazing!
Back to top Go down
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 10:40

i decided to split the finale into two parts, and i hope you enjoy both. Smile

Chapter 9.
Last Man Standing.

‘Sir? We’ve got a problem.’ Mourwen quietly spoke through her communicator. Pendragon felt a weight slide down his stomach. They had detected them already? Chimera grimaced.
‘Go ahead, Admiral.’ It was as they both feared. A Watcher ship was on approach, in hyperspace, with just three hours until its arrival. Retrieved Dawn’s eyes flashed cold blue again as he listened to the grim news.

‘I was expecting this’, he said simply. The two men turned to look at him questioningly.
‘What do you mean?’ asked Pendragon warily. Had the android betrayed them?
‘The Highest, leader of The Watchers, has a highly developed psychic ability. He may have been able to sense our exit from the Haven system, where the tachyon emitters failed.’
Pendragon face hardened.
‘So you suspected this would happen? And you still allowed us to come here? That fleet up there was not expecting to fight off a Harbinger so soon! We should have been able to carry out the plan, and got the hell out of here before we needed to fight off anything coming our way!’
Retrieved Dawn simply stared at him, blank-faced as usual.
‘You were required to get to Earth, no matter if you were detected. Had you known of my knowledge you would have been detected, you may not have wanted to make the journey.’ Retrieved Dawn’s logic was flawless, but still Pendragon felt annoyed at his withholding of information. However, he had a much bigger problem. Speaking into the microcommunicator on his jacket lapel, he asked a question.
‘Mourwen, how long do you think you’d be able to hold them off?’ Mourwen didn’t reply for a few seconds, then spoke in a voice drained of hope.
‘Sir…there’s more than one Harbinger coming. There are hundreds. We just picked up at least 1400, with a complement of 50000 Eviscerators. The Watchers REALLY want us dead.’ Pendragon did a weak kind of cough at the news, and his breathing quickened. A bead of sweat broke out on his forehead and trickled down, as Retrieved Dawn and Chimera watched him intently.

He looked up at the other two, and swallowed as much emotion as he could.
‘We have a job to do. Let’s get it done as quick as we can.’ The android nodded, and beckoned the two men closer.
‘I can get us there faster’, he said simply. With blinding speed, he lunged at the President and Vice President, and picked them both up in one arm each, causing them to yell in surprise. He started to run at over 50mph, then 60mph, over the terrain of the ruined city that was once called London. Pendragon and Chimera protested loudly at the indignity of their transportation.

‘My apologies, masters. But the whole of the human race is at stake.’ The two men both quietened down at this, and allowed themselves to be roughly carried on the android’s shoulders.
Sprinting at a speed far beyond human capability, Retrieved Dawn ran towards a mostly dried-up river, somehow knoweing where exactly to go. As he reached the edge of the river, he put Chimera and Pendragon down, both looking considerably ruffled and annoyed.

He stood over the river, and stretched out a hand over it, pointing his hand directly at it. The skin on his hand separated into several sections and slid back up his forearm, revealing his pulsing blue laser cannon hidden on his fingers. The fingers converged, and a brilliant blue beam lanced out of his hand. It vaporised the little water that was left, and burrowed down into the earth beneath it, digging deeper and deeper. Retrieved Dawn’s whole body twitched, and the beam changed colour, becoming red and darker.

It appeared to be a tractor beam of some kind, because a few seconds later, an object was pulled from underground by the scarlet ray. It was like nothing Pendragon had ever seen before, a kind of blue crystal, encased in a framework of metal and microcircuitry. It was at least as large as his head, and pulsated in an eerie turquoise.
Retrieved Dawn stared at it emotionlessly, while Pendragon and Chimera watched in awe. The android gently laid it on the mossy ground, and the three men knelt down to inspect it.
‘It’s called a link. It consists of a captured Watcher brain, from 100,000 years ago. With some careful modification, the Empire was able to possess a direct link to The Watchers. From this, they launched a powerful , unstoppable computer virus, that not only almost destroyed The Watchers, it wiped all traces of information about humanity from their records.’

He continued. ‘It was performed by the Terranus Empire, just before they were reversed technologically.’
He began to work on the Link, and a connection node appeared from his hand, which he used to plug into the strange device. He spoke again.
‘I was the one that created the virus.’
Pendragon raised his eyebrows.
‘You destroyed them?’ Retrieved Dawn nodded once.
‘Yes. My essence chip, the chip that contains my mind before my body was built, was programmed to write a virus that would shut down their bodies, and kill them. It worked with 98.83% efficiency, unfortunately, some managed to disconnect themselves from the network once they heard of the virus.’

‘So you can do the same thing here today?’ asked Pendragon, hope returning to his voice. The android shook his head this time.
‘The Watchers are far more organic than last time, they rely less on their machine side. I will not be able to kill them, merely deactivate their bodies for a while, knock them unconscious. It will last for 24 hours.’
Pendragon felt his temper flare again.
‘You said we could destroy them, not send them to sleep for a bit!’ Retrieved Dawn did not look up from his work.
‘We have to do something once I am finished here. You must do as I say, or everything will fail, The Watchers will wake up, and they will continue their campaign against you.’
Pendragon forced himself to stay quiet, still fuming slightly. He left the android as he was, and looked over to Chimera, who was studying the landscape, seemingly lost in thought. He walked over to him.

‘Beautiful in a way, isnt’ it?’ said Chimera quietly. Pendragon nodded, looking around at the silent, ruined city. It was beautiful, in a certain point of view. It was a stark reminder of how everything falls apart in the end, and nature is always the most powerful force in existence. Chimera turned to look at the android, working silently, performing inconceivably complex tasks.
‘Imagine the things he would have seen. He was told to live among humans as one of them. That means he’s seen everything, from the Terranus Empire, the dawn of modern civilisations. All three world wars, every atrocity commited by humanity. Every…catastrophe witnessed by man. Everything.’ Pendragon nodded slowly at this. It was indeed incredible at what Retrieved Dawn must have been a witness to, and his sheer age.

‘I was in fact directly hit by a nuclear missile during World War 3,’ called the android, looking up this time.
Chimera was surprised at Retrieved Dawn’s hearing capability, but smiled wanly and called back.
‘What did it feel like?’ He asked.
‘Warm’, came the flat reply. Chimera and Pendragon snorted with laughter, and then their faces returned to seriousness slowly. Pendragon’s communicator came alive again with Mourwen’s voice.
‘Sir, they’ve accelerated. The Watcher armada will be here in less than 15 minutes.

Pendragon’s eyes widened, and he and Chimera ran over to Retrieved Dawn, who turned to look at them coming.
‘I have finished reprogramming the virus I created last time. However, I need to be in close proximity of a Watcher to be able to fully upload it.’ Pendragon threw his arms up at this in frustration.
‘How close?!’ he asked despairingly.
‘About 21,000km. The link between two Watcher brains is too weak to upload otherwise.’
‘That’s almost the distance needed to activate a Harbinger’s planet eater cannon!’ cried Chimera.
‘I am aware of this. The Link is being powered by magnetic resonance from the Earth’s core, if it leaves the planet it will be useless.’
Pendragon held his head in his hand, then grasped his communicator.
‘Mourwen? You have to lead the Watcher fleet close to the planet, but don’t let them get in range with their weapons!’
‘Yes sir’, came the confused-sounding reply. On board the SR2, Mourwen’s mouth tensed as she watched the colossal fleet approach. She gave one order.
‘Launch all fighters. Keep them as busy as you can.’
The tiny fighters launched from their hangars and shuttle bays, racing towards the huge fleet. They were just a distraction, however, meant to slow the enemy in order to give the fleet time to maximise their defences. The UEA fleet spread out into a wall of ships, to increase the firing ability of their weapons. Mourwen watched as the fighters danced and spiralled in between the Harbingers and Eviscerators, hard to hit and extremely mobile.
A fighter pilot breathed heavily as his hands grappled with the controls, twisting and turning to avoid hundreds of dark matter shells fired at him. He expertly landed shots on weak points on an Eviscerators shield, and to his surprise managed to inflict noticeable damage. Obviously, the new upgrades designed by that android were a success…

Then a dark matter shell managed to find its way to the unfortunate pilot, and his tiny ship winked out of existence. He was joined by other fighter pilots, as the small fleet was overcome by sheer rate of firepower. They had served their purpose, however, and the main fleet opened fire, and unleashed a huge barrage of energy weapons at the approaching Watcher fleet. It was a futile action, there were far too many ships to destroy. Eviscerators fell by the hundreds, however, and Harbingers started to take damage. But it was too little, too late.

On the surface of Earth, Retrieved Dawn stood, transfixed to the sky, waiting with a calmness and a patience hard to achieve by a human. He suddenly twitched slightly.
‘I am able to begin the upload.’ He said.
Pendragon asked why, and Retrieved Dawn closed his eyes.
‘I was able to initiate a weak link between the controller of a Harbinger and this Link. However, it will not be completed for some time, possibly after the destruction of the UEA fleet.’ Pendragon scowled at this.
‘Mourwen! Order the fleet to pull back into lower orbit! Keep hammering at them though!’

Mourwen reported the Watcher fleet was now 23,000km from Earth, and closing. She also reported ships were now falling by the hundreds.
‘We’re getting hammered! The fleet’s being blown apart before we can land a hit!’ On board the SR2, the shields were buckling, and the laser array was firing at full rate. Without its planet-based power source, however, it was useless to stop the relentless, hungry Watcher armada. But still the UEA fleet fired, performing their duty to protect their last hope.

Mourwen saw a Harbinger start the terrible process of transforming, and watched as a planet eater cannon slid out of its bottom half. The crown on hull plates began their rotations, and several more Harbingers joined the chorus of destruction. Before long, Mourwen was looking at over 100 Harbingers, all preparing to convert the entire planet Earth into dark matter, along with it, mankind’s last hope.
She yelled into her communicator.
‘Arexel!! They’re getting ready to fire!! You’ve got seconds!’ She was powerless to stop their advance, only a miracle could save them now.

‘Dawn!! Hurry up with that thing!’ screamed Chimera, starting to panic now as the monstrous forms of the Harbingers appeared in the sky, hundreds of them, each with the capability to destroy the world he was standing on. He refused to believe this was the end. He turned to Retrieved Dawn, who seemed to be struggling to upload the virus at the rate he expected. Inside his electronic brain, The Watchers raised their defences against his attack, forcing him to push harder, forcing him to use more power. His power alerts started warning him of the drain on his fuel cell, a fuel cell that could not be refuelled easily. He opened his eyes, and initiated a final push to get the virus through. In an instant, he managed to fool the defences, and reached the link of The Watchers. He was in, and immediately installed the powerful virus into the mainframe.
To his surprise, he noted there were TWO networks. One electronic, on organic, and the electronic was the only one he could access. But he could do enough damage here to ensure they had a chance of success.

Chimera and Pendragon watched him, as his eyes glowed blue, brighter then brighter. All of a sudden, his whole body convulsed, and Retrieved Dawn fell to the ground, still twitching violently.

They both ran up to him, and he stilled, and stopped convulsing. His eyes were closed, but they flickered open, and looked up at the two men standing over him. He raised his legs, and flipped himself up using them. He looked around stiffly, not saying a word.
‘Did…did you do it?’ asked Pendragon in barely more than a whisper. Retrieved Dawn nodded slowly, and started to walk, but his legs gave out underneath him. He collapsed onto the ground.
‘Dawn!’ shouted Chimera, rushing to support him, and hooked his arm over his shoulder. He was surprised to learn the android weighed no more than an ordinary human.

‘I…used up most of my…energy in breaking through The Watcher’s defences. My fuel cell…requires recharging.’ Retrieved Dawn could barely speak, his eyes were a lifeless grey, with no light emanating from them. Chimera and Pendragon supported him to the shuttle, and Chimera strapped himself into the pilot seat. Grimly, he pushed the thrusters wide open, and the tiny ship rocketed off the surface of the planet that had spawned the human race.

In orbit over Earth, Mourwen stood stock still, and gazed in wonder at the sight on the viewscreen. Hundreds of Harbingers, and thousands of Eviscerators, drifted in space, lifeless and still. Scarcely believing what was happening, she turned to see Chimera and Pendragon walk onto the bridge, carrying an apparently mortally damaged Retrieved Dawn.

‘What happened?’ asked Mourwen in shock. Pendragon glanced at her, and grimaced.
‘Retrieved Dawn uploaded a supervirus into The Watcher mainframe. It’s knocked them out cold for 24 hours, but he damn near killed himself in the process.’ He got out his glasses from his breast pocket, and flicked them open. Putting them on, he examined Retrieved Dawn’s body for an access hatch, or anything that would let him get at the fuel cell. Finally, he looked on the back of his head, and noticed a small flap in the skin. He gently opened it with his fingers. Inside, he saw a tiny, weakly glowing stick, seemingly wired into the skull of the android, obviously the fuel cell. Chimera ran over to grab a mains power supply, linked directly to the SR2’s massive deuterium reactor.
‘Just attach it to my fuel cell’, said Retrieved Dawn quietly, seemingly knowing what Chimera was saying, despite his eyes being closed.
‘But you’re not compatible, surely? Said Pendragon, increasingly worried about the android’s health.
‘I’m designed to be compatible with any energy source, no matter how archaic or futuristic.’

Pendragon looked at Chimera, holding the cable, and nodded. Chimera nodded back, and knelt next to the stricken android, and plunged the mains cable into the opening of Retrieved Dawn’s skull. The android bucked and twitched as the energy flowed from the SR2 to him, and the lights dimmed on the bridge. Lowe power alerts started appearing on the screens, and Mourwen watched aghast as the android absorbed all the power of a DeathStar.

After several seconds, the power completely failed, and the energy flow stopped. Retrieved Dawn opened his eyes, and stood up, watched by everyone on the bridge. The deuterium reactor started to replenish the energy supplies on the SR2, and the bridge’s electronics slowly came back to life. Static electricity crackled around him as he looked at his own hands. Finally, his eyes regained their now-familiar blue glow, and he announced he had been fully recharged.

‘Now, our time is short. We have something to do to completely defeat The Watchers, and it involves a very big ship.’
‘Bigger than a Harbinger?’ asked Pendragon, slightly afaraid. The Watchers were inactive for the time being, but he knew there would be more to this plan.
Retrieved Dawn nodded.
‘Much bigger. You are about to see something that will stay in your mind forever.’

On the androids orders, the battered 11,000 ships that remained broke orbit of the blue planet Earth, and jumped to hyperspace as one.
They were heading to the Large Magellanic Cloud, to finish this fight, once and for all.

Last edited by Chimera on Fri 13 May 2011, 11:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arexel

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 10:59

my initial disappointment of what you told me about this chapter before you wrote it has been destroyed it's awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't contain excitement about the final part to come.

Back to top Go down
Terranian

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 11:37

that was fantastical

We are the Terranus Empire, once a great force in this universe now laid low by a gruelling war with the Watchers, and now we have returned

Thats a very nice everything you have there be a shame if anything where to *HISSSSSSSS* happen to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 12:16

CPU overloading can not cumput to awesome shutting down.......................... reboot
Back to top Go down
Skyfire

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 12:47

Amazing chim , your chapters move from strength to strength , cant wait for the conclusion Smile

Back to top Go down
Mourwen

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 13:19

My brain is now mush stew, thanks Chimera xD

Back to top Go down
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 14:04

thanks, everyone. soon i will be starting a new, original piece of scifi. i was lying awake in bed, and it just started forming in my mind. i cant post it, as i dont want to risk anyone stealing it. im not saying anyone would, just better safe than sorry Wink

but right now, i have a trilogy to finish, in the most epic and beautiful way possible, i hope Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Arexel

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 13 May 2011, 14:56

it's very good this original piece of work idea ah the benefits of going to the same college as chimera

Back to top Go down
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Fri 27 May 2011, 08:58

the climactic chapter is on its way, just a bout of writers block, general crappy health, and college work has hampered its progress. eta several more days!!!

Back to top Go down
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 31 May 2011, 00:46

at last, after setbacks and writers block galore, delays, ill health and general mishaps, chapter 10, and the climax of the entire trilogy, is here. hope you enjoy it, everyone Smile

Chapter 10.
Shrinking Universe.

On board the SR2.
The atmosphere on board the SR2 had never been more tense. Not a soul spoke on board, and no one wanted to speak; everyone had their own things to think of. Pendragon sat in the captain’s chair, lost in thought. For all his life he had wanted an end to war, and now, perhaps that dream was to be a reality. He looked over to Retrieved Dawn, who was busy piloting the SR2 through the maelstrom of hyperspace. The android was the only one on board who was not nervous; but then again, he didn’t have the capability.

Chimera paced back and forth behind Pendragon’s chair slowly, reflecting on what he had seen, just a few hours ago. He had stood on the scarred surface of planet Earth, watched as an android older than he could imagine lifted a device as old as it out of the ground. He had seen hundreds of planet-sized starships prepare to destroy the cradle of human civilisation, and witnessed them become helpless by a centuries old virus reactivated. It was enough to drive almost anyone mad. But chimera was already mad.

Ajisha Mourwen tended to her maser blasters, a habit borne out of years of tension-relieving, and tonight she was studying them with particular intensity. A thousand questions swam in her mind, most of them about how this new adventure would turn out. She had stood by Pendragon in situations dire and dangerous, but there was something different about this journey. It had a finality to it, a sense of a long and torturous time finally, coming to an end. For months now, humankind had faced its greatest ever enemy, losing planets by the hundreds, and had come so very, very close to being broken. But in all darkness, there had been one tiny chink of light that refused to be extinguished.

Karus Daggers sat in the corner of the bridge, foregoing a chair. His cloak draped around his shoulders and legs as he rested his head in his hands. He lifted his head, to look at the pacing Vice President. He smiled sadly at the sight, thinking he looked exactly how he felt. Chimera had heard second hand of Arc’s destruction; Daggers saw it with his own eyes. For as long he would live, he would never forget.

Viscor Skyfire was laying on his bed in his quarters, staring at the bare, grey ceiling, hope, fear and anticipation swirling within him. The UEA had held, just, and it was mostly thanks to the talents of her Admirals, and the billions of citizens who had absolutely refused to cave in to this monstrous force oppressing them.

Across the galaxy, humans were starting to reclaim their planets, and the UEA was flooding into star systems where they had previously been banished from. In just a few short hours, the Milky Way Galaxy had been almost completely overtaken by its former masters. The Korvath Empire was reinforcing the effort, with thousands of ships and a huge amount of relief aid to damaged worlds. The fragile relationship between the two galactic forces had been somewhat improved by this gesture, and human and Korvathian had worked side by side on planets devastated by Watcher attacks.

And now, as 11,000 ships hurtled out of the galaxy at millions of times the speed of light, humanity’s spirit began the long, torturous journey to healing its grievous wounds inflicted by The Watchers. Harbingers and Eviscerators, dead in space and vulnerable, were being captured, destroyed, and boarded everywhere. Watcher technology was finding its way into human and Korvathian hands, the unconscious bodies of their masters being torn apart and killed.

The fleet reached the Large Magellanic Cloud just 5 hours after the uploading of the virus. Pendragon noted, on approach, how much smaller the galaxy was than the Milky Way Galax, yet still achingly, impossibly vast. Being an irregular galaxy, the LMC had no distinct shape, unlike the striking spiralling forms of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxy.

Retreived Dawn turned in his chair, to face the President.
‘The place we are going, is in the very center of the galaxy. It has only been visited once by humans, and it may still have some automated defences active. I recommend you stay on the ship, sir.’ Pendragon shook his head, smiling slightly at the impassive android.
‘Retreived Dawn, I’ve faced down the barrel of a Watcher soldier before, and I didn’t back down then. I’m coming with, and I’m going to get even for what’s happened to humanity.’
The android nodded, blank-faced, and turned to the main viewscreen again. They were mere minutes away from their destination, and Pendragon, despite his strong words, felt an increasingly tight knot in his stomach. What awaited them, at the center of the Large Magellanic Cloud?

Pendragon received his answer, 8 minutes later. The President of the UEA looked out of the viewscreen as the fleet blasted from hyperspace into the system, and was met with a sight that caused the hairs on his neck to stand up in shock. It was a sphere, a ship, far bigger than any he had ever seen before. It was simply and absolutely vast, bigger than a star, and Pendragon, Chimera, Mourwen and Daggers stared out at it in wonder.
Firehawk, Skyfire and Aang, on their individual ships, followed suit, not a word escaping their mouths. The enormous black, almost featureless shape of the ship crushed all speech from them.
Retrieved Dawn spoke, naffected by the sight.
‘It’s called the StellarShip. It is the nerve centre and information processing core of the Watchers. What is left of their cybernetic implants are connected to the ship’s computers, and their natural telekinetic abilities are massively amplified by the power of the ship.’
Pendragon finally found some words in his throat.
‘That’s…it’s…impossible…’ He said no more, unable to take in the sheer scale of the thing ahead of him.
Chimera, after a few seconds, spoke up.
‘Why is it so big? What benefit does it have?’
‘The StellarShip is a starship, with a star inside it. It was once in the outer edge of the LMC, but The Watchers began to construct a Dyson Sphere around it, to harvest its solar energy. The decision was then made to create an entire ship around the star, with full automation and propulsion systems.’

Pendragon swallowed. An entire star, encased inside a ship and powering it for as long as it needed…the technology was simply fantastic, and now they were about to square up to it.
The warning alarms sounded on the SR2, and every other ship in the fleet. The few automated defnce systems on the StellarShip had come to life, to rid this new enemy approaching. At once, dark matter shell blasted out from the massive ship, and vessels swerved t avoid them, to varying degrees of success. A shell smashed into the SR2’s shields, thankfully to little effect. The upgraded shields were doing their work again, but Pendragon noticed with concern that the fleet was being cut through like a sword through paper.
On his orders, the SR2 hyper jumped closer to the StellarShip, leaving most of the fleet behind. The Admiral’s ships and a few others had followed, but the majority of the fleet evacuated or was destroyed. The SR2 swerved to avoid another flurry of dark matter shells, but being moon-sized, it was difficult. Another 10 shells threatened to overload the shields of the mighty battlestation, but they managed to hold after Retrieved Dawn expertly diverted power from weapons.
‘What are you doing!’ shouted Chimera, shocked at the effective removal of the weapons system.
‘Our weapons are useless, sir. We would be wise to strengthen our shields instead,’ the android spoke in a raised but flat voice, and Chimera shrugged. Suddenly, he was hit with an idea. Grabbing his micro communicator, he opened a channel to the surrounding fleet.
‘All ships, dock with the Soul Ripper! Our shields can take the hits, yours can’t!’ The ships complied, and one by one they headed to the SR2 and entered its docking stations. The station’s shields were now protecting all 200 of the ships remaining, and right now it was the safest place possible, under the circumstances.

Retreived Dawn piloted the SR2 to a hangar facility on the StellarShip, and rediverted power to the weapons. With mechanical precision, he blasted the door with the graviton cannon, simultaneously draining power from every ship inside the SR2, and pouring it through the cannon. The supercharged shot managed to overload the shileds over the hangar door, and the entrance had a huge hole punched through it, just about big enough for the SR2 to pass through. Chimera’s eyes widened as the huge ships soared through the entrance with inches to spare.

Inside the Main Chamber of the StellarShip.

The Highest breathed in deep, his cybernetic ally enhanced lungs taking all the oxygen needed for 3 hours. He could feel them; the Cattle, bringing with them weapons of destruction. Weapons that The Watchers had used centuries ago, laughable little toys, much as the Cattle were. He would destroy them, and wait until his Lowers awakened from their slumber. They would continue their campaign to crush the Cattle, and the universe would soon follow. The great fall they suffered 1000 centuries ago would never be repeated.
The Highest remembered it well, he was a mere Controller then, as merciless as he was now. The virus had rushed through their kind, and almost destroyed them. What the Cattle never knew about, however, was the civil war the virus then caused; between the Infected, and the Pure. It had ravaged their race yet further, and all knowledge and experience of the Cattle had been eroded; lost over time.

Now, however, the Cattle were coming to kill him. The nerve! The audacity! He would make them suffer before killing them, and he would let them know of his awesome power. When their bodies fell at his feet, he would kill their pathetic species with them.

A Watcher droid buzzed angrily at the invading group currently storming the corridor. It raised its arm, and prepared to fire at the lead human. A single blue bolt from Retrieved Dawn put paid to the droid’s short attack, however. More of its brethren followed, and the android quickly realised the lives of his masters were at risk. Moving at incredible speed, he surged into their midst, breaking the neck of one droid as he ran. He picked one up, and swung it round like a mace, smashing it into the others.
In vain the droids tried to shoot the assailant, but only succeeded in blasting each other.

In seconds, the squad of droids were laying sparking and twitching on the floor, decimated by the deadly android. Pendragon breathed out, suddenly realising he’d been holding it in for the whole experience. He checked his heavy maser rifle, and signalled for the group to move forwards down the corridor.

The unconscious bodies of Watchers were everywhere in the corridor, and occasionally one gave a sharp twitch. One, to the shock of Pendragon, even snapped its eyes open, and glared at the President silently.
‘Why are they still moving?’ he whispered apprehensively to Retrieved Dawn.
‘Their motor functions and basic instincts are still operational, sir. They are no threat to us however, the virus will keep them inactive for several more hours.’ Pendragon breathed a sigh of relief again. He really was getting too old for this.

Chimera was the only other government official walking with Pendragon, the rest of the group was composed of UEA foot soldiers, all armed with maser blasters, stun grenades, and an almost bloodthirsty ability to kill. No one spoke as they moved forwards, but everyone took in the architecture, which was so…alien. The entire interior was composed of the same blueish black metal that the hull was composed of, and the only lighting appeared to be neon blue light strips that ran the length of the ceiling and walls. The overall effect was an eerie, foreboding feeling that Retrieved Dawn was the only one oblivious to. To him, the only negative thing about the lighting and architecture was the slight impairment it inflicted on his visual systems, forcing him to switch to infrared.

Chimera did a double take when Retrieved Dawn looked at him for a split second, and instead of his usual blue, the eyes of the android glowed red like embers. Chimera figured it was a visual enhancement for him, and thought nothing more of it. He glanced around the corridor, as nervous as he ever could be. The squadron reached a lift, and entered it. The symbols and language on the buttons were completely unfamiliar to him ,but Retrieved Dawn seemed to have no trouble in deciphering the language, however, and immediately pressed a finger against a button.

Chimera leaned over to the android.
‘How did you know what button to press? Do you know The Watcher’s language?’
‘No, I do not. I simply pressed the largest button. It was logical it would lead to the Highest’s chamber.’
Chimera looked at the panel, and noted with a slight sense of embarassment it was indeed the largest and most obvious button. He cleared his throat, and made himself very busy checking his weapon.

After a 4 minute journey, the doors of the lift hissed open, and unveiled an enormous chamber, with more intense lighting than the corridors. Retrieved Dawn switched back to normal sight, eyes returning to their familiar blue glow. Everyone looked around at the enormity of the chamber; it had to be at least 300 metres high. All eyes eventually found their way to the centre of the room. A glowing column stretched down to the floor, where it was surrounded by a mass of wiring and plating. On the front of the construction at the bottom, in what seemed to be a makeshift chair, sat a Watcher, larger than any a human had ever seen. It stood 10 foot tall, and it seemed to slump in its seat, as though all its energy was drained.
In a croaking, metallic voice, the Watcher spoke, eye glaring intently at the new arrivals.
‘Welcome, Cattle. Welcome to my chamber, the nerve centre of The Watchers itself. You have done well to get this far!’
Pendragon stepped forward. If there was a diplomatic resolution that could be reached, he was going to find it. And besides, there seemed no way the slumped figure in the chair could harm him, at least not without getting a shot to the face first. He cleared his throat, and spoke in his sternest voice possible.

‘Highest of The Watchers, I am Arexel Pendragon, President of the United Empires Alliance. Your entire species is currently subdued, and you are helpless. If you surrender now, agree to withdraw your forces and leave our species alone, I will not give the order to kill you.’

The Highest lifted his sunken eyes to him again, face completely blank. His body twitched, shuddered, and suddenly the Watcher broke into a fit of deep, guttural laughter. The gill-like structures that acted as a mouth rippled violently as the huge alien roared with laughter. After a few seconds, the laughing stopped, and the Highest spoke again.

‘You think of me as helpless? You clearly know little of our species, Cattle! I have weapons the likes of which…you could not imagine!’ With the last word, The Highest raised his arm, pointed his three-fingered hand at Pendragon, and tightened them into a fist. The hand started to glow with purple energy, and Pendragon felt a crushing pain explode inside his head, beyond anything he had ever felt. He dropped to his knees immediately, clutching his skull and screaming in pain.

‘AREXEL!’ roared Chimera, and ran forward at the Highest, firing his maser. The bolts were stopped short by another raised hand of The Highest, and a purple shield formed around him. The bolts smashed against the telekinetic shield uselessly, and the Highest changed the hand into another fist. Chimera fell to the floor in agony, a mirror of Pendragon.

Retrieved Dawn signalled for the soldiers to fire at the Watcher leader, and a barrage of energy pulses shot towards the Highest. With a flick of his head, all the soldiers spine’s broke with wet snaps. The bodies fell limply. Clearly, The Highest was much more interested in the leaders of the UEA than merely its foot soldiers. This information may give me time, he thought.

He raised his hands, and stepped forwards in a clear sign of surrender. The Highest glared at him like a cornered animal, gills rippling angrily. He hissed the next words in a harsh tone, still holding Chimera and Pendragon telekinetically hostage.
‘Stay back, Cattle! Or do you wish to be crushed like your leaders?!’ Retrieved Dawn suddenly realised The Highest had no idea who he was. It had been 100,000 years, after all. He stepped back slowly, making sure to make no sudden movements. Then, in one swift motion, he brought his arm up, and the skin slid back up his arm to reveal his cannon. The Highest gasped in shock, the purple energy changing to almost pure black, and causing another moan of pain from the two men on the floor.

‘You!’ cried The Highest.
Retrieved Dawn nodded, acknowledging the revelation.
‘Your telekinetic shield will not be sufficient to block a maximum power shot from my cannon. It will vaporise your cranium if I fire.’ The Highest again laughed, softer and quieter this time.
‘What kind of threat is that?!’ he cried, insanity creeping into his deep voice. ‘I have in the palm of my hand the two Cattle you are programmed to protect at all costs! I will turn their skulls inside out before you can even charge a shot!’

If Retrieved Dawn had possessed the capability to feel frustration, he would have felt it at that moment. As it was, he recognised the extreme danger of the situation, and started to analyse ways to circumvent it. He calculated the time it took for a plasma bolt to charge, discharge and strike the Highest at the distance he was away from him, and compared it to the time it would take for The Highest to think a thought, have the StellarShip amplify two trillion times, use the brain of the humans as a channel into controlling the matter of the body, and literally turn heir skulls inside out. Unfortunately, he lost.

After a few silent seconds, he began to lower his arm. The Highest approximated a smile, and lifted the writhing President and Vice President into the air. Their screams intensified as the energy surrounding them turned from black to scarlet. The Highest began laughing again.

‘A million years of civilisation, 100,000 years of rebuilding our shattered empire, and 3 months of our campaign against you, and it comes down to thisssss!’ he hissed the last word, and stood up from his chair unsteadily, seeming to draw strength from his victims. He was draining their very life; stealing the synaptic energy from their brains. He grew more muscular, and soon he was standing on powerful, solid legs. The two men went limp, and The Highest released them from his energy lasso. They crashed to the floor, with the sound of several bones breaking.

‘I do believe I broke a few ribs!’ cried The Highest with glee. ‘Better act fast, or the lungs will soon be punctured!’ Retrieved Dawn noted the loss of The Watcher’s well spoken vocabulary; possibly as a result of his growing insanity. This new, dangerous mental state, however, seemed to be affecting his judgement; he had dropped Pendragon and Chimera, effectively losing his advantage. Without further hesitation, he raised his arm, and fired a full charge shot. An unexpected result happened, however. The bolt simply struck the telekinetic shield without any effect, and The Highest roared with laughter again.

‘Your masters gave me a new-found strength, little robot! I haven’t felt this good for 60,000 years!’ It seemed the draining of the human’s synaptic energy had given The Highest the ability to repair his withered body and mind, making him a far more deadly foe than before. Without warning, the massive alien charged at Retrieved Dawn, his huge momentum sending the android crashing into the far wall. The Highest immediately started to pummel Retrieved Dawn with his powerful fists, with a force that surpassed even energy bolts. Warning alerts activated in the android’s processor, as the blows caused micro fractures in his casing.

The Highest picked up the battered artificial life form easily, and sent him flying with another massive blow to the body. Retrieved Dawn dented the wall with the collision, but managed to pick himself up and face The Highest running at him again. He sprinted as well, and the alien was struck with a huge punch to the chest by the android. Retrieved Dawn leaped on top of The Highest, and wasted no time in raining blows at lightning speed on him. The Highest screamed in anger, and picked up the little android, then threw him to the ground with titanic force. He stood up, and stamped his huge foot on Retrieved Dawn, over and over, with half a ton of force each time. The Argathanium alloy of the stricken, ancient android resisted for a few moments, then began to buckle under intense pressure.

Power-gorged, blood lusting, and mad, The Highest couldn’t resist one last taunt before crushing the life out this insignificant human creation.
‘Do you realise how long I’ve wanted to do this? To extinguish the last spark of the Terranus Empire? To destroy the very thing that almost killed us all? And now, you are about to die, at my hand! Or should I say, my foot!’ He raised his leg for one last, gargantuan stamp. The Highest, however, failed to be informed of two things. Firstly, Retrieved Dawn possessed incredible power relay abilities, so advanced, he could effectively turn one system, and use it for a completely different purpose. Right now, he was diverting power from his main, crushed arm cannon, to his eyes and visual systems. The Highest was blasted with a massive beam of energy from Retrieved Dawn’s eyes, completely taken by surprise. In his rage, he had dropped his telekinetic shield to fight the android. The energy pulse smashed into his face, and he screamed in agony, clawing at his burnt head.

The second thing he had failed to take into account, was another remarkable ability; this time, the remarkable ability of the human body to heal itself. Whilst Retrieved Dawn and The Highest had been fighting, Pendragon had begun to regain consciousness, the world fading into existence slowly. First came sound, crashes and roars. With the occasional thump.
Then vision returned, then the ability to know what he was seeing, and finally came motor functions as his brain finished rebooting itself. With a small groan, he pushed himself up, and grabbed his heavy maser rifle, using it to support his shaky legs. A huge crashing noise made him look up, and he saw with shock the much larger Highest stamping repeatedly on Retreived Dawn, then a massive flash of energy as the android fought back. The Highest reeled back, and Pendragon recognised his chance. He raised his gun, and fired 4 shots into the back of the Watcher. The Highest roared furiously, swung round, and then was hit by another bolt of energy from Retrieved Dawn, using his other arm cannon.

‘Fool! I will crush you as I have crushed countless others!’ The Highest reached into The Void, to find the essence of his nemesis. But there was nothing. The thing in front of him, simply didn’t exist.
He looked up at the android in blank shock. Even artificial beings had some kind of registering in The Void; he had destroyed countless robots, droids and androids before. But this…was different.

‘What…what are you? WHAT ARE YOU!?!’ he screamed, terror overcoming confusion and shock.
The android known as Retrieved Dawn stood still for a moment. Then, incredibly, he smiled, or at least moved the artificial muscles in his face to give the appearance of a smile.
‘I was built with zero-blank resonance intelligence, in preparation for this last, desperate trick of yours. My masters knew one day this may happen, that I would stand before you, about to kill you. And they wanted to make sure they covered all their bases, so to speak.’

The Highest’s blue eyes bulged. Zero-blank resonance technology was the bane of The Watcher collective, it had been their one and only thing they could not overcome. It effectively made any machine built with it a blank spot in any psychic’s telekinetic radar. But it had been lost to the river of time, and forgotten. In the following centuries, The Watchers regarded the technology as little more than a myth. They forgot how to fear it.

And now, it was about to destroy them, all over again.

‘Please…please, do not kill me!’ The Highest of The Watchers, most powerful being in the galaxy, leader of billions, had been reduced to begging for his life. The cold mind of the android knew no mercy, however.
‘You waged war on the Terranus Empire. You are responsible for the death of over 400 quadrillion life forms, over the course of a million years of war. You have destroyed millions of worlds, slaughtered innocents, wreaked destruction across entire galaxies, and caused suffering for countless trillions. Killing you will be the closest thing I can come to satisfaction.’

With his arm cannon aimed squarely at his head, Retrieved Dawn fired at full intensity, and the plasma bolt burned the skull of The Highest to a crisp, vaporising bone, flesh and metal in one. The body slumped to the ground, stone dead. Retrieved Dawn lowered his arm. Pendragon wiped his brow.
Chimera stirred, then groaned. Finally he heaved himself up, with Pendragon’s help. Staggering slightly, the Vice President looked around the chamber, taking in the dead soldiers, the damaged Retrieved Dawn, the headless Highest, and the exhausted looking Pendragon. He gave a nervous, strained half chuckle.

‘Did I…miss anything? He asked in disbelief.
‘Only the cause for my imminent retirement,’ came the paper-dry reply.

Back to top Go down
Terranian

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 31 May 2011, 09:20

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Skyfire

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 31 May 2011, 09:35

Nicely done , now is this a ploy to remove pen as priminister and take his place !!!! ?

great story 10/10

Back to top Go down
Chimaera

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 31 May 2011, 10:12

Skyfire wrote:
Nicely done , now is this a ploy to remove pen as priminister and take his place !!!! ?

great story 10/10

NO! how dare you suggest such a thing!!! *shifty eyes*

Back to top Go down
Arexel

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Tue 31 May 2011, 11:36

Pendragon goes into a deep sleep so utterly speechless over the finale of the story. Before slumber takes him he reminds chimera that retirement is not an option!!!

Back to top Go down
Mourwen

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   Wed 01 Jun 2011, 16:50

Once again, a most stunning display of brilliance. I look forward to the epilogue! xD

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day of the Watchers- Book 3   

Back to top Go down

Day of the Watchers- Book 3
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next